12/06/2013

Unleashing your inner creativity



I'm so grateful I started drawing and writing at an early age, before I realized what a daring thing it is to do...

...because creation is hard.

Have you ever sat in front of a blank page and willed a sentence or a line of drawing into existence?  What stopped you from starting?

Probably fear.

Fear of not being able to do it. Fear of not having any ideas. Fear that it will be horrible.  Fear that it will be really good, and then you'll have to live up to a new standard.  Fear that someone might say something devastating about it.  Fear that it won't be as good as.... (name your jealousy, Hemingway let's say, or Picasso).

When did that fear start?

I'm sure as a child you drew, and told stories, and sang and danced with exuberance and energy.

All children are artists.

They start out without self-consciousness as they play and paint and tell stories. They have no doubt that their drawing of a tiger balancing on a rainbow is the best thing you've ever seen.  They are convinced that the story they told you today, "and then a crocodile started playing the piano, and an ostrich was dancing" is the most fascinating thing you've ever heard. Except maybe for the story they told you yesterday, do you remember the one about the flying elephants?

Where has that child gone?  That inner child that can fight imaginary dragons and come home to supper having saved the world, and is ready for a glass of warm milk and bedtime...

That child is locked somewhere deep inside you.

And so is her exuberant courage; that's still there as well.

The trick is knowing how to unearth that courage hidden under all the anxieties of daily life. And once you've found that courage, how to protect it from the nay-sayers around you.

I don't have a bullet proof list of tips for this, but I have a few ideas...

(the examples I give deal with writing and drawing, but could work just as well for music, or quilting, or singing, or dancing.... )

1.  Ask yourself, "what's the worst that can happen?" You crumple of the piece of paper, or delete your document, and you've spent an hour writing or drawing something that didn't work. Sure, a grown-up might think of it as wasted time; a child wouldn't though. They'd think of it as a great hour of play, and maybe, just maybe, you've learned from your mistakes.

2. Start by making one mark on the paper.  Write, "The cat sat on the mat," and then ask yourself, "what next?" Or draw one line, and then another.  Draw a box. Draw a circle.  Draw the sun.  Just start.  And if you don't like it, crumple up the paper and go back to step #1.

3. Actually try to make something horrible.  Scribble on the paper. Press so hard with your pencil that it tears through to the other side. Mix all the colours together until you have muddy brown.  Write without any punctuation. Start spelling things how they sound, instead of correctly. Just bang at all the keys on the keyboard, and see what funny words and letters appear. Make a mess just for the sake of releasing all that anxiety. It's the best therapy in the world, and you might surprise yourself.

3. Take a nap.  Sometimes you're just tired.  This piece of advice comes from my lovely friend Ayla from the blog Watch This Space. Treat your inner creative child gently, and you might find her cooperating.

4.  Make your favourite snack.  Really savour the flavours.

5. Reward yourself. When I was in grad school I would buy myself a pack of Cadbury chocolate buttons, and eat one button for every page of my dissertation that I'd edited. Children love rewards.  They love working towards them, and they love receiving them. Make it fun.  Make it a game.

6. Write down all the things you're afraid of.  Once they're written down, some of them will sound as silly as the bogey-man under the bed; some of them will be valid. For the valid fears, make a list of reason why they will never happen. Make a list of reasons why you're brave enough.

7. Make lists of the things you loved when you were a child.  Some of these might unlock hidden inspiration or hidden courage, or just a little laughter.

8. Make lists of anything.

9.  Run around in the grass barefoot. Breathe fresh air.  Get some exercise. Your brain needs oxygen to be inspired.  Do a handstand.  Do a cartwheel.  Chase after pigeons. Lie on the ground and find shapes in the clouds.

10.  Arrange your supplies in order of colour, or size, or by how much you love them.  Isn't that lovely rainbow of pens beautiful?  When I was little I used to arrange all my bath toys and teddy bears.. it was a ritual of respect and admiration.  When you love the tools you work with, you'll do better work.

11. And, if all else fails, do #1, #2, and #3 over and over and over again until you actually start making something you really love.

12.  And then give your inner five-year-old a big hug. The two of you are a great team.


Like this post?  Want to chat?  You can find me here....

Shop | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful list!

    Here's a few more that sometimes do the trick for me when I need them...

    *Walk into the bathroom. (Please don't ask me why, but I've gotten my best paper ideas when being in the bathroom. Just standing in there works for me.)

    *People watch. Sit somewhere quietly and just watch. Sometimes listening or observing triggers so much.

    *Drink water. I find that hydration helps to encourage my creativity.

    *Go for a run, a hike, a swim, or other. The movement also helps to put my brain and body in a state that allows new ideas to emerge and sometimes with a pathway for how to approach them.

    *Talk with my husband. He's a fellow writer. He gets it. It's flows naturally with us. (Incidentally he's submitted a proposal for a presentation at a conference on how his writing and poetry have changed pre-during-post his TBI. Very cool stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, your artwork makes me teary whenever I look at it. It is just so beautiful. Also, what a wonderful list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magical image!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Jane, we creatives all struggle at times. I've just been watching Darren Woodhead on Springwatch,(think that's his name) painting LIVE, beautiful inspiring work, I love to watch people paint. I often surround myself with work that inspires whilst working, it may not be the same subject matter as I'm doing, just inspiring, Then I quite often half close my eyes while drawing and I scribble draw, out of this many cute little creations manifest themselves, they just start to appear and bingo, I've got it (but not always). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've provided a great list for unleashing our creativity. Lately, I've been thinking about the little crafty things I did as a child and wonder why I don't do it anymore. I made picture frame from paper into shapes like a watermelon and a flower. I sew clothes for my dolls. It was fun to see what I could make with my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic post, Jane! I think every blogger and creative that stumbles across this will come away feeling like the world is their oyster! I know I definitely needed to read this before I start my creative writing course at university. Getting marked on my writing will be very scary, so remembering to have fun with the creative process will be paramount! On days where I'm feeling uninspired, I often go and take a nice, long, hot shower. Some of my best ideas come in the shower. Plus, it relaxes those tense muscles, clears your head and makes you feel fresh and ready to tackle the world :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comment:)Your illustrations are delightful and the post is great:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment:)Your illustrations are delightful and your post is great:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post! Words to live by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post! So true, just do something! I sometimes "put it off" and the final destination of it is "nowhere"! Thanks for your creativity starters and your humor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For a number of years I told myself I'm not a creative person. I draw like crap so I shouldn't try at all. But I always had this deep want to. Until this summer, I realized I loved art and I bought my first piece of art, I decided to start my blog. Though sometimes I feel as if no one looks at my art, I feel comforted knowing I will improve each day. Even if it is a little. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like this post?
    I LOVEEEEE this post!!!!!
    So I just want to say a huge "thank you" for leaving a comment on my blog, because in this way I find you, and your amazing blog!!
    Thank you thank you, thank you!!!!!!!
    Have a very nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day bright with sunshine. I try to respond to each comment on your own blogs. Who knows I might make a few new friends along the way! X Jane