20/06/2011

In my Cape Town Studio





At the moment I'm working on lots of stuff I can't share (*wink*). Hopefully I'll be able to share it in the near future. For the meantime, I thought I'd show you my studio table, and my little clothespin friend.

I need to find excuses to get out of the house, so I've started taking ballet classes. I took ballet as a child (as many little girls do), and then dropped it when I realized you had to perform on stage. I'm am not naturally comfortable in front of an audience. But, now that there's no pressure to perform, it's fun to reignite my love for dance and music.

To honour this newfound hobby, I made myself a clothespin dancer. She now keeps me company as I work on sketches and thumbnails for a new project.

And, do you want to know what's really funny? And it proves that I'm still basically a child at heart... I always snicker when the teacher says "now do that step three times derrière." Which basically means, do the step towards the back, instead of the front. But, as many of you may know, derrière is french for "backside," hence the childish snickers from the peanut gallery (i.e. me).

7 comments:

  1. oh i love the light in your studio! thanks so much for visiting and leaving encouragement at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane. What a compliment to have you stop by and comment on my blog. Thank you for your feedback and letting me know what you liked about my work. I've really enjoyed reading through your own blog and I look forward to following you on your journey. You have such a lovely and gentle style. I can't wait to see the secret stash of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane! Oh my goodness, congratulations on starting ballet..that is AWESOME! I have no skills whatsoever in dance, and so I do appreciate your gumption getting back into something. Funny re: derriere! And I just want to say thank you so very, very much for your wonderful visit..it really means a lot! And wow, your illustrations are fabulous..I am a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed visiting your blog and reading about your adventures and viewing your illustrations! Thanks for stopping by mine--I love feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane,
    Thank you for visiting my Paper Perks blog and leaving a comment. I'm so glad you did because it brought me to your wonderful blog! I just love your illustrations. I'm a reading tutor and they look awfully familiar to me, so I must have seen them in a book with the kids. I especially love your clothespin doll and the fact that you're taking ballet lessons and giggling at derriere!!
    Good to 'meet ' you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed that you are taking up ballet again. And I LOVE your little clothespin mascot--she looks inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the little ballerina girl! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comments! So nice to "meet" you! I love your work .. It's beautiful. I shared your post on my Facebook page, and I'm looking forward to following your adventure!
    Hope you are having a great weekend! ~:D

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day bright with sunshine. I try to respond to each comment on your own blogs. Who knows I might make a few new friends along the way! X Jane